Sometimes spending too much money on car maintenance is not the right choice. If your vehicle is breaking down more frequently and the cash required to fix the vehicle is culminating in being more than the vehicle’s value, we have a solution for you.
In Australia alone, there is a large market for high quality used car parts. So, if you have a vehicle you are finding hard to maintain, then sell it for parts. This way, you will be recycling the vehicle and also making cash on the side.
In this blog, we will discuss the whole process in detail.
How To Recycle A Whole Car?
In 2021, there are over 20 million registered automobiles in Australia. And around 700 thousand end-of-life vehicles rusting away in people’s backyards, junkyards, and wrecking facilities. This makes the second-hand auto market quite lucrative.
In Australia, car owners usually choose two options for recycling their whole cars, either they choose to disassemble the car by themselves or sell it to a junkyard.
The first option takes a lot of time and effort. However, if you are skilled and enjoy dismantling vehicles, then this option is best for you. All you need to do is take all of the auto parts out and sell them individually, and then sell the rest of the car’s body to steel recyclers.
The second option is selling the whole vehicle to cash for car business or junkyard. This option doesn’t require any effort from the seller’s side. These services purchase all conditions of cars and use them for auto parts and scrap metal. And the best part is these businesses take care of all the work and pay you cash on the spot for the vehicle.
How To Sell the Recycle Car Parts?
Whether you choose to sell your junk car to wrecking yards, donate it to charity or sell the parts yourself, there are few things you need to do beforehand:
- Remove the personal belongings from the car.
- Get rid of any trash present within the car, such as plastic bags, cigarette buds, etc.
- Change the ownership of the vehicle so you can legally sell the car parts for cash.
- Pay off any debts associated with the vehicle.
After that, you can make a list of auto parts within the car that are resellable. Some vehicle parts are more valuable than others. So, if you have some recently replaced parts, they will be worth more than the older parts.
Some parts that can get you high returns include:
- Catalytic converter
- Exhaust systems
- Audio system
We will discuss these parts in more detail below.
Once you have made the list of the parts you want to sell, you can find reliable websites, newspapers, and magazines to advertise in.
Take good high-quality pictures of the parts and write a description describing their condition. The description should be honest and to the point.
Another way you can sell the car parts is to take them to your local mechanics and let them have a look at them. Most body shops and mechanics are willing to buy parts in good condition. This way, you can sell them quickly without a hassle.
What are the Most Valuable Car Parts?
Parts that require fewer replacements, such as exhaust systems, tend to be more valuable than those that need regular replacements, such as sparkplugs.
The price of the parts is also dependant on the model and the brand of the car. The rarer the model or brand of the car is, the higher the value of the parts will be.
Below is the list of parts that can put cash in your pockets:
Below the hood
Starter – the car’s starter contains a large amount of copper and other types of recyclable metals. For these parts, you can expect to get up to $10 if sold for scrap. And these parts are usually sold for $50 to $250 online.
– Alternator – A good alternator can last between 100k miles to 150k miles. And you can expect to sell it for 50% of the original cost.
– Water pump – a used water pump can bring up to $5 when sold to scrap part buyers, but on the online market, it can bring up to $170.
Under the body
– Exhaust system – These systems are recycled by the weight of steel they contain. To a scrap buyer, they can be sold at $5 to $10 and online, it can go up to $180.
– Catalytic converter – Is used for metal such a palladium and platinum. Can recycle for up to $100.
– Tyres and rims – Tyres are used as recycled rubber, and a set of steel rims and tyres can get you up to $75.
– Glass – Glass from windows, windshields, sides, etc., can bring anywhere from $20 to $200 depending on the model and demand for the specific product.
– Doors – To scrap part buyers, they can be sold for $15 each and sold online for $100 to $250.
– Built-in GPS – the car’s GPS can recycle for up to $10 and sell for up to $100 online.
– Airbags – If they haven’t been deployed, they have a resale value of anywhere from $80 to $200.
– Rear-view mirror – they don’t have any for recycling but can be resold for cash up to $70.
Best Way to Recycle Your Car or Parts
Recycling your vehicle instead of dumping it is a great way to reuse and recycle resources and reduce the negative impact on the environment. Individually selling car parts is a good way if you have the skills and resources to carry it out. But if you are like 80% of the population, this task can be quite tricky.
So why not choose an easy alternative? Sell it to SpeedyCashForCars!
We buy scrap cars near Brisbane. If you have a vehicle that is a non-runner, and you want to sell it quickly, talk to our representatives, and they will arrange for you a way to sell it within 24 hours.
Recycling your vehicle for cash can either be a rewarding experience, or it can be a tedious process. Your success or failure depends on the option you choose depending on your capabilities.
Hope this blog will help you make better-informed decisions. Happy Selling!